Monday, March 9, 2009

FIRST POST

BEST PIECE OF CREATIVE WORK AT HIGH SCHOOL:


















This was probably my most successful painting in high school studio art.  The assignment was to create our own portrayal of  The Temptation of Saint Anthony, a theme made famous by Hieronymus Bosch and Salvador Dali.  I was 18 at the time of this assignment so I focused on the idea of what deadly 'demons' teenagers are most likely to face.  The temptations I settled on were sex, drugs, and suicide.  The razor blade represents drugs and suicide while the blood is representative of suicide and lust.  The face reflected in the blade is my own and I intentionally depicted my face in unnatural colors to create a division between the adolescent and the temptations.  Obviously this painting is a bit morbid but I still think it's a striking image and an interesting take on an old theme.

GREAT PIECE OF ARCHITECTURE:








This is the Seymour house by Bart Prince in Los Altos, California.  According to the architect's website a portion of the original house on this site was moving down the hill due to earthquakes and tremors so the owners called in Bart Prince to replace everything that was no longer structurally sound.  The mature trees on the site were all carefully maintained (www.bartprince.com).  I really like buildings that have a sense of fluidity and motion; I hate too many straight lines.  I'm a big fan of Frank Gehry and Antoni Gaudi but wanted to find something not quite so famous for this post.  I find this piece particularly interesting because the structure contrasts so starkly with its surroundings but is still quite organic.  I think the trees and the building compliment each other rather than work against each other to create a feel of synergy between the built and natural environment.

ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPH OF SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL:












My family owns property in the Shenandoah Valley area in Virginia in the United States; this picture was taken on a walk to the property from the resort across the river.  Shenandoah is an amazing place to holiday; our property is in the midst of hills, lakes, and woods.  This was a quick snapshot and, amazingly, I was able to capture the intense blue hues with absolutely no post-shot manipulation.  I almost didn't take this photo but am so happy I did as it remains one of my favorite personal photos.  I love the color and the juxtaposition of textures between the rocks, water, and lily pads.  I also think it reflects, quite well, the sense of peace you experience when visiting Shenandoah.

FIONA HALL:


















FLORA, EMERGE, RADIANT

TRACEY MOFFAT:


















REVERIE, ASCEND ,SURREAL

ROSALIE GASCOIGNE:


















SATURATION, SCRAMBLE, LINEAR





No comments:

Post a Comment